After self-proclaimed godman Asaram Bapu was convicted by Jodhpur court after five years on Wednesday morning for raping a teenager, the family of the victim heaved a sigh of relief. The father of the rape survivor said that they were threatened, attacked and offered bribe to pull their case back by Asaram and his people.
The father also said that today his daughter is happy due to the godman’s conviction.
As per a report in NDTV, the father said, “Over the years, every trick in the book was used to get the girl to withdraw her case. “We were threatened, attacked, offered bribe. All tactics were employed. He faked illness on many occasions, took permission to wear clothes of his choice and get food he wanted. The court saw through his lies.”
He further said that nine witnesses against the godman were attacked, out of which three died. “We faced so many hardships. Witnesses were even attacked in court but we are finally happy that the accused has been convicted,” said the relieved father.
The self-style godman along with two others were accused in the 2013 for raping the 16-year-old teenager in Asaram’s ashram near Jodhpur.
Judge Madhu Sudan Sharma had announced the verdict for raping a 16-year-old in August 2013. The godman has been held guilty under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POSCO) and JJ (Juvenile Justice) Act. However, the quantum of punishment is unknown. The minimum punishment in this case is minimum 10 years of imprisonment.
Asaram, who was arrested in 2013 and has been in Jodhpur Central jail since then, was also accused in a double rape case in Surat. Asaram’s son Narayan Sai has also been accused in the double rape case.
Asaram and his son have been alleged to have raped and illegally confined two sisters between 2001 and 2006. However, the trial is ongoing in Gujarat court.