Amid the COVID-19 outbreak across India, Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) has issued self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special emphasis on respiratory health. These guidelines, as per Ministry of AYUSH, are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
Below is the list of measures recommended by Ministry of AYUSH:
→ Drink warm water throughout the day
→ Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH
→ Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
→ Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
→ Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
→ Golden Milk: Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
→ Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
→ Oil pulling therapy– Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
During dry cough / sore throat
→ Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
→ Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
→ These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
These measures are recommended by 16 eminent Vaidyas across India, identified as,
- Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore
- Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi
- Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal
- Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur
- Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane
- Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum
- Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar
- Acharya Balkrishna ji, Haridwar
- Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur
- Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP
- Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi
- Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh
- Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
- Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi
- Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur
- Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar