COVID-19 positive man dies in Delhi; family tries to flee with dead body

Sneha Shah | Jun 18, 2020 21:47

In a bizarre incident, Delhi Police, on June 17, had to trace the dead body of a COVID-19 positive man, after his family tried to flee with his body from the capital to his hometown Moradabad. The body was being transported from the hospital to Qabrastan Ahle Islam, the burial ground at ITO in Delhi, when the family tried to flee with the body.  The family, however, was confronted by the central district administration, who intercepted the vehicle.

The deceased was admitted to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital on June 1 and succumbed to coronavirus on June 17. As per reports, obligatory arrangements for the dead body to be buried were being made at the burial ground, with the officials saying that a grave was dug up using a JCB.

However, the body had not reached the burial ground after it was sent off from the hospital in an ambulance. It was later found that the family had arranged for another ambulance near the burial ground so that the body could be transported to Moradabad. The central district administration was immediately alerted after the deceased’s body was snatched by the relatives.

Also read: 16-year-old boy kills self on being called ‘transgender,’ writes ‘want to be reborn as girl’ in suicide note

In a letter to the Assistant Commissioner of Police, Karol Bagh, the central district administration mentioned, “A COVID-19 positive dead body being transported from Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Central District, to burial ground near the ITO/ Feroz Shah Kotla for burial was snatched from the attendant of the hospital by around 30 people.” The letter further mentioned that the body was being transported in a ‘forcefully hired ambulance.’

The staffers at burial ground were initially clueless since the body hadn’t arrived till 6 pm and decided to shut the Qabarstan gate. “We thought the body will come tomorrow (June 18) and shut the Qabarstan gate. It was only at around 10:30 pm that the police said the body has to be buried immediately. The body was finally buried post-midnight,” the caretaker of the burial ground, Shamim Mohammad, said.