COVID-19 positive woman dies, husband claims her belongings missing from hospital

Nation Next Newsroom | May 12, 2020 22:26

In an unfortunate incident, a man has claimed that his 50-year-old wife’s gold earrings and mobile phone were no were to be found at the Ahmedabad Civil Hospital after she died due to Coronavirus on May 11.

The 57-year-old man Shivpujan Singh Rajput, a resident of Amraiwadi, called up the police control room and registered a complaint of theft of gold earrings worth Rs 22,000 and a mobile worth Rs 3,500 at Shahibaug police station, Ahmedabad. When Shivpujan asked the hospital staff, about the belongings they were clueless about the theft.

The woman Bindu Rajput was admitted to the Civil Hospital on May 2 after she was diagnosed with high fever. Three days later Bindu’s health was recovering but her condition worsened on the fourth day as she could not breathe properly.

Also read: COVID-19 positive doctor booked for travelling from Mumbai to Bhuj without permission

On May 8, Shivpujan was told that his wife was put on ventilator because her health had deteriorated. Rajput, who is an auto-rickshaw driver, told Ahmedabad Mirror, “I had called up the ICU ward where my wife had been kept on Sunday, but no one picked up the phone until midnight. When we called up around 7:15 am on Monday, a staffer told us that she was recovering and was shifted to the general ward. It was when we called up again at 10 am that the doctor told us that she had already passed away on Sunday evening.”

“I do not care much about the earrings. I have already lost the person who wore it. It may cost around Rs 22,000 but I do not want this to happen to others,” Rajput said.

Quite shockingly, Jagdish Rathod, Congress councillor of Amraiwadi ward, told TOI that this wasn’t first such incident at the hospital. Rathod said, “This is not the first such incident in the hospital. On Mondday morning a man had approached me and said that on May 5, his wife’s jewellery was stolen from the same hospital after her death. He did not approach the police as he was in a state of shock.