Fire due to short circuit at Nagpur’s Mayo Hospital
A fire had broken out at the Post Birth Unit (PBU) – Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Indira Gandhi Government Medical College and Hospital (IGGMCH) at Nagpur on Saturday midnight (at 2:30 am) due to a short circuit. A nurse named Savita Ikhar saved around nine newborn babies.
Using her presence of mind, Savita quickly grabbed four newborns in both her arms and shifted them on the nearest operation theatre bed. Savita, who was alone at that time, even relabeled the newborns for identification purpose before she relocated them. The administration staff and nurses upon noticing the fire helped Savita rescue the remaining five, out of whom three infants were on oxygen.