Headlines

Man undergoes surgery for removing cable from urinary bladder; doctor says patient inserted it through penis


Nation Next Newsroom | Jun 7, 2020 22:59

The X-ray of the 30-year-old man’s abdomen. The mobile charger cable can been in the X-ray

In a bizarre case, a doctor took out a mobile charger cable from the urinary bladder of a 30-year-old man in Guwahati. The patient had told the doctors that he had ingested the cable through his mouth. However, doctors have claimed that the cable had been inserted through the man’s penile urethra.

Dr Walliul Islam, a consultant surgeon at a private hospital, said that the man had approached him a few days back complaining of a severe stomach ache after consuming a cable by mistake. “The man came to me with complaints of severe pain in the abdomen and history of accidental ingestion of mobile headphones. The initial tests, including X-ray, revealed that there was something in his lower abdomen. An endoscopy reconfirmed it. But after the surgery, I found nothing in his gastrointestinal tract. I checked his intestines and even there too, I found nothing. So another X-ray was conducted in the operation theatre itself and it revealed the presence of mobile phone charger cord in his urinary bladder,” Dr Islam said.

Also read: A day after patient is cremated, Gujarat hospital informs family he’s ‘stable’

Doctors said that the man has a habit of inserting objects through his penis to have sexual pleasure. Dr Islam explained that the act is termed as ‘urethral masturbation’ and it involves the insertion of an object into the urethra. “I read about it in books but I never came across a case like this in my 25-year-career,” the doctor said.

“Had he told the truth, the cord could have been removed through the same way it was inserted and the surgery could have been avoided. The patient was possibly too shy to disclose his act. He recovered and has been already discharged,” Dr Islam he told The Daily.

Sharing the video clip of the surgery, Dr Islam wrote about the shocking incident on his Facebook page. He wrote, “Surprises in Surgery! After 25 years of experience in Surgery, I continue to be  surprised and shocked by instances like this where my intellectual and surgical skills are challenged….a 30 year old man came to me with complaints of pain abdomen and history of accidental ingestion of headphones . I operated upon him to find nothing in his Gastrointestinal tract…but instead discovered a mobile phone charger cord in his Urinary Bladder ….all of you must have guessed the entry point and route (it entered through his penile urethra to his urinary bladder)…his mental health remains a question….surgery was successful and the patient is recovering….everything is possible on this earth,  indeed!”